Thứ Tư, 8 tháng 9, 2021

Truyện Kiều (Anh-Việt) - Chương 8 (Episode 8)

By Phan Huy MPH


THE DUTIFUL YOUNGER SISTER

NHỜ EM TRẢ NGHĨA

THE FAKE PIMP-HUSBAND

MẮC BỢM BUÔN HOA

Please be seated i’ll bow to you ere i speak

The home’s troubles had eased temporarily,

Việc nhà đã tạm thong dong,

But nuptial time was speeding its arrival.

Tinh kỳ giục giã đã mong độ về.

695. Alone in the dead of night under the lamp,

Một mình nương ngọn đèn khuya,

Her gown soaked in tears and her hair weaved with griefs:

Áo dầm giọt tủi, tóc se mái sầu:

“I’m resigned to my fate, whatever it is,

“Phận dầu dầu vậy cũng dầu,

It’s a pity for him who’s thus persevered!

Xót lòng đeo đẳng bấy lâu một lời!

His huge effort to win my heart was so dear,

Công trình kể biết mấy mươi,

700. Because I’ve concurred, he’s now in dilemma.

Vì ta khắng khít cho người dở dang.

Our cups of pledge wine are still left unfinished,

Thề hoa chưa ráo chén vàng,

But I’ve undone my oath, renounced my promise.

Lỗi thề thôi đã phụ phàng với hoa.

Now at the far-off horizon of Liao-yang,

Trời Liêu non nước bao xa,

Perhaps he thinks this breakup a fault of mine.

Nghĩ đâu rẽ cửa chia nhà tự tôi.

705. Through countless sworn vows for a wedded union,

Biết bao duyên nợ thề bồi,

This love is now finished and nothing remains.

Kiếp này thôi thế thì thôi còn gì.

If our sworn vows persists until the next life,

Tái sinh chưa dứt hương thề,

I’ll be reborn a beast to serve as your maid.

Làm thân trâu ngựa đền nghì trúc mai.

So long as this debt of love’s not yet been paid,

Nợ tình chưa trả cho ai,

710. I’ll bring it, insolvent, to the zone of death.”

Khối tình mang xuống tuyền đài chưa tan.”

She was engrossed in her own tragic sorrows,

Nỗi riêng riêng những bàng hoàng,

Till lamp burnt out its oil, tears soaked up her scarf.

Dầu chong trắng đĩa, lệ tràn thấm khăn.

Her sister, Thuy Van, on waking up from sleep,

Thuý Vân chợt tỉnh giấc xuân,

Came under the lamp, affectionately asked:

Dưới đèn ghé đến ân cần hỏi han:

715. “Dear, heaven’s design is changing and complex,

“Cơ trời dâu bể đa đoan,

You alone must endure our home’s injustice.

Một nhà để chị riêng oan một mình.

Is that the reason you stayed up the late night?

Cớ chi ngồi nhẫn tàn canh?

Or some other private secret in your heart?”

Nỗi riêng còn mắc mối tình chi đây?”

Kieu answered: “That my heart’s sobbing, it is right,

Rằng: “Lòng đang thổn thức đầy,

720. As it’s still tangled in an unfinished love.

Tơ duyên còn vướng mối này chưa xong.

’Tis shame to divulge this intimacy,

Hở môi ra cũng thẹn thùng,

But to keep it in heart is disloyalty.

Để lòng thì phụ tấm lòng với ai.

I ask for your help, will you accept my word?

Cậy em em có chịu lời?

Please be seated I’ll bow to you ere I speak.

Ngồi lên cho chị lạy rồi sẽ thưa.

725. My love tie with him is mid way broken up,

Giữa đường đứt gánh tương tư,

Now it’s your turn to rejoin the severed silk.

Keo loan chắp mối tơ thừa mặc em.

From the time I met him, the young scholar Kim,

Kể từ khi gặp chàng Kim,

We have exchanged day wishes and night pledges.

Khi ngày quạt ước, khi đêm chén thề.

Then our domestic storm happened suddenly,

Sự đâu sóng gió bất kỳ,

730. And I could not fulfill both love and duty.

Hiếu tình hai lẽ khôn bề vẹn hai.

You are still young and your spring days are still long,

Ngày xuân em hãy còn dài.

Pity your blood sister, help fulfil her oaths.

Xót tình máu mủ, thay lời nước non.

Even I must die my flesh and bone shattered,

Chị dầu thịt nát xương mòn,

My soul, perfumed by your deed, will smile in Hades.

Ngậm cười chín suối hãy còn thơm lây.

735. Here are the hair brooch and commitment paper,

Chiếc vành với bức tờ mây,

Please keep them as common keepsakes of our troth.

Duyên này thì giữ vật này của chung.

One day when he and you become man and wife,

Dầu em nên vợ nên chồng,

Perhaps you won’t forget your fated sister.

Xót người mệnh bạc ắt lòng chẳng quên.

Although I’ll be gone, my possessions remain,

Mất người còn chút của tin,

740. The lute and the oath incense of our old days.

Phím đàn với mảnh hương nguyền ngày xưa.

Then in the future if you would ever mind,

Mai sau dầu có bao giờ,

Burn that incense, tune this lute and start to play;

Đốt lò hương ấy, so tơ phím nầy;

And looking out, you see the stirred grass and leaves,

Trông ra ngọn cỏ lá cây,

You’ll know I’m back there together with the breeze.

Thấy hiu hiu gió thì hay chị về.

745. My soul’s still heavily weighed down by the oath,

Hồn còn mang nặng lời thề,

I’ll risk everything for the sake of my love.

Nát thân bồ liễu, đền nghì trúc mai.

Once I am in the Hades, wordless and absent,

Dạ đài cách mặt khuất lời,

Please sprinkle sacred water for my doomed soul.

Rảy xin chén nước cho người thác oan.

Now the brooch’s been shattered and the vase broken,

Bây giờ trâm gãy bình tan,

750. Still my love for him stays beyond expressions!

Kể làm sao xiết muôn vàn ái ân!

Please convey him my thousand bows of regrets,

Trăm nghìn gửi lạy tình quân,

That our love has by now been interrupted.

Tơ duyên ngắn ngủi có ngần ấy thôi.

Why is my unfortunate fate white as lime?

Phận sao phận bạc như vôi?

Subject to rough water like a dead flower.

Đã đành nước chảy hoa trôi lở làng.

755. Oh Kim my dearest one! Oh Kim my lover!

Ôi Kim lang! Hỡi Kim lang!

It is from now on that I will betray you!”

Thôi thôi thiếp đã phụ chàng từ đây!”

Just as she stopped speaking, she fell unconscious,

Cạn lời hồn ngất máu say,

Her nose breathless, her arms frigid as copper.

Một hơi lặng ngắt, đôi tay giá đồng.

Her parents awakened from their deep slumber,

Xuân huyên chợt tỉnh giấc nồng,

760. And the entire house were busy in and out,

Một nhà tấp nập kẻ trong người ngoài,

Taking care of her with all kinds of treatment.

Kẻ thang người thuốc bời bời.

Hardly recovered from swoon, she again cried,

Mới dằn cơn vựng, chưa nguôi giọt hồng,

Old dad asked: “How does the weird matter arrive?”

Hỏi: “Sao ra sự lạ lùng?”

She kept sobbing unable to say a word.

Kiều càng nức nở mở không ra lời.

765. Van then whispered to the ear of the father:

Nỗi nàng Vân mới rỉ tai:

“Problem comes from this hair brooch and pledge paper.”

“Chiếc vành này với tờ bồi ở đây.”

Understood, he said: “It’s me who ruin your love,

Vì cha làm lỗi duyên mày,

Your sister then will redress this failed affair.

Thôi thì nỗi ấy sau này đã em.

Who makes my daughter’s love suddenly break down?

Vì ai rụng cải rơi kim?

770. Who drives her into a life of weed and cloud?

Để con bèo nổi mây chìm vì ai?

Your recommendation will be carried out,

Lời con dặn lại một hai,

Though stone is crushed, I won’t contradict your words!”

Dẫu mòn bia đá, dám sai tấc vàng!”

She made deep bows to him then politely said:

Lạy thôi nàng lại rén chường:

“So you will help me fulfill my avowed pledge.

“Nhờ cha trả được nghĩa chàng cho xuôi.

775. Now I don’t care about my slave’s destiny,

Sá chi thân phận tôi đòi,

Even death in alien land won’t frighten me!”

Dẫu rằng xương trắng quê người quản đâu!”

All Alone Inside Locked Door

While they were submerged in limitless sorrows,

Xiết bao kể nỗi thảm sầu,

The south tower’s watch bell had pressingly tolled.

Khắc canh đã giục nam lâu mấy hồi.

The nuptial couch had arrived outside waiting,

Kiệu hoa đâu đã đến ngoài,

780. With strings and flutes as if to urge the parting.

Quản huyền đâu đã giục người sinh ly.

Their hearts ached, the departed and those who stayed,

Đau lòng kẻ ở người đi,

Tears of partition absorbed deep into stone.

Lệ rơi thấm đá, tơ chia rũ tằm.

Dark and gloomy clouds overshadowed the sky,

Trời hôm mây kéo tối rầm,

Glooming the sad grass and drenching the dewed foliage.

Dàu dàu ngọn cỏ, đầm đầm cành sương.

785. Straightly to a lodging house she was carried,

Rước nàng về đến trú phường,

Where she was put all alone inside locked doors.

Bốn bề xuân khoá một nàng ở trong.

Woes and shames overwhelmed and harassed the girl,

Ngập ngừng thẹn lục e hồng,

With sourness and pity for herself, she thought:

Nghĩ lòng lại xót xa lòng đòi phen:

“Fairy’s gem today falls into bastard’s hand,

“Phẩm tiên rơi đến tay hèn,

790. In vain it’s been guarded against shine and rain!

Hoài công nắng giữ mưa gìn với ai!

Had I known my fate to be downed to this fall,

Biết thân đến bước lạc loài,

I’d rather give in to him my chastity.

Nhị đào thà bẻ cho người tình chung.

For whom did I safeguard my virginity?

Vì ai ngăn đón gió đông?

To hurt him then and to cause him much pain now.

Thiệt lòng khi ở, đau lòng khi đi.

795. If per chance we’ll meet again some morrow,

Trùng phùng dầu hoạ có khi,

What do I expect then with this soiled body.

Thân này thôi có còn gì mà mong.

Thus driven into this lot of vagrancy,

Đã sinh ra số long đong,

Why must I go on to live this wretched life?”

Còn mang lấy kiếp má hồng được sao?”

There on the little table lay a hand knife,

Trên yên sẵn có con dao,

800. She took and concealed it in her scarf’s corner.

Giấu cầm nàng đã gói vào chéo khăn.

Just in case where she be pushed to an impasse,

Phòng khi nước đã đến chân,

She’d use it to settle with her life at last.

Dao nầy thì liệu với thân sau nầy.

Autumn night second by second wore away,

Đêm thu một khắc một chầy,

While she hovered in a state of dream and wake.

Bâng khuâng như tỉnh như say một mình.


Source: https://truyenkieuinenglish.wordpress.com

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Lưu ý: Chỉ thành viên của blog này mới được đăng nhận xét.